This last weekend, Partner and I went to see a film. I will spare you the talk about just how boring watching the film was, or how I believe a relationship is officially in a Rut when your dates are mostly made up of televised images and meals.

I digress. Let's get to the point.

After watching the trailer for upcoming The Ghost Writer, I whispered to him "Roman Polanski? I am not going to watch that film. He's a sex offender." And really, I was feeling pretty smug and proud of myself for saying that.

Then I seriously gave it some thought. I remembered how I've always held up that there are many facets to everyone's personalities. How closely they're intertwined, or if they influence one another, depends greatly on the person.

Then, I had the most horrifying thought of my week: am I becoming a pearl-clutching Shaker!? And I slapped myself. Really hard.

Roman Polanski is a sex offender - but Bitter Moon and The Pianist are seriously kick-ass films. He also survived the Holocaust and the murder of his wife. He's also many things not everyone knows, because not everyone knows the guy. Are all these things affecting one another? Maybe, perhaps not.

If we start shunning off everyone by one part of who they are we're going to run out of people we like - Hell, people we stand - pretty fast. Vague examples would be ... say: you know this person and he's a kickass painter, but he also has a drug habit or is an alcoholic. Does it automatically nil his talent? Does it automatically nil the fact that you might like the art?

I am not saying what Polanski did can be excused or forgiven; nor should he not pay for what he did. He has to pay, and he has to redeem himself.

To be frank, as much as I dislike the guy for what he did to Samantha Geimer, it has nothing to do with the fact that he makes great films I enjoy. And the fact that I enjoy his films has nothing to do with my wanting him to pay for what he did to Samantha Geimer.

edit post

0 Reply to "Roman Polanski is a sex offender. makes kickass movies, also."

  •